Gasoline, kerosene, and other fuels burned in combustion engines produce the dangerous gas, Carbon Monoxide. Colorless, and odorless, Carbon Monoxide can reach potentially lethal levels in spaces where there is inadequate ventilation, such as workshops and garages.
Carbon Monoxide, a gas without color, odor or taste, is produced when gasoline and other fuels burn. When there is inadequate ventilation, carbon monoxide can become concentrated and have severe consequences, such as poisoning. Poorly maintained, or improperly operated boilers, fuel-oil heaters, and automobiles are common sources of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Higher risk factors exist for pregnant women, young children, the elderly, or those with heart or respiratory issues.
Some common symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting, and confusion. All too often, those affected by Carbon Monoxide become aware of the symptoms, but become too disoriented to rescue themselves.
The best prevention for Carbon Monoxide poisoning is to have all such appliances or equipment installed and regularly inspected by a professional.